National Museum Uzice (NMU) is a regional museum being in charge of the territory of eight municipalities of Zlatibor District (Uzice, Bajina Basta, Kosjerić, Pozega, Arilje, Cajetina, Nova Varos and Sjenica). It was founded on July 12, 1946, first as The Museum of Uprising 1941. The National Museum was established by the Decision of the National Committee of Titovo Uzice dated April 29, 1963, which incorporated both The Museum of Uprising 1941 and The Local Museum, whose collection formed gradually. By the Decision of Self-managing Interest Community for culture, and as suggested by the socio-political organizations of the town, on the date of June 22, 1979, the the memorial complex on Kadinjaca was transferred to the management and use to The National Museum. From January 1, 1991 to October 21, 2002, the monument of Kadinjača operated as an independent institution. In 2002, it became part of the NMU again.
Within the NMU, there are professional departments of archaeology, ethnology, history and history of art, pedagogue service, professional library, conservation workshops, photo laboratory, service for the general, material and financial performance and technical support service. Museum experts are engaged in scientific and museum-research work, cataloguing museum objects, conservation and restoration and recording and documentation work, exhibition and publishing, educational, pedagogical and information and marketing activities; they provide services to users of the Museum material and cooperate with related institutions. The Museum material is classified in a number of archaeological, ethnological, historical, artistic and numismatic collections.
In addition to the protection of movable cultural property, NMU has also been engaged in the protection of immovable cultural property. In the period from 1994 to 1998, a complete conservation, restoration and revitalization of the monastery Uvac (municipality of Čajetina) was done, and our experts were engaged in arranging the homes and the memorial rooms of celebrities and national heroes (Dimitrije Tucović, Stevo Čolović etc).
The second building of the Museum contains three permanent exhibitions: "Uzice, Origin and Development", "Legacy of Mihailo Milovanovic, a painter "and "History of the Company for production of arms in Uzice from 1928 to date." The permanent exhibition "The uprising in Yugoslavia in 1941", which was in the first museum building was relocated in 2005/06 after 45 years. The work on the reconstruction of a new memorial setting "Uzice Republic" is currently on, so rooms of the Supreme Headquarters of the NOPOJ and Josip Broz Tito will be available again. The permanent exhibition “The town house from the late nineteenth and early twentieth century” is located at Jokanovica House, and on Kadinjaca; within the memorial home there is a permanent setting of “Workers’ battalion in the fight on Kadinjaca" and "Uzice region in the NATO aggression.”
Since April 30, 2009, within the work organization of the National Museum of Uzice, there has been a presentation of hydroelectric power plant "Under the Town".
For its work, the Museum has received important awards and numerous acknowledgements, among which two awards stand out - "Mihailo Valtrovic" provided by the Museum Association of Serbia and the prize of Vuk Stefanovic Karadzic.
See promotional film about the National Museum Uzice