Uzice Republic 1941
Late in September, early in October in 1941, a large liberated territory was created as a base for raising rebellion in western Serbia, Sumadia and the Morava river basin. Partisan and chetnik troops liberated most of the territory independently or together. On this territory, named Uzice Republic, there was about a million of inhabitants. The centre was Uzice, where chetnik troops entered, at first on September 21, and after that the town was given in charge to partisans on September 24. It was the first large liberated territory in occupied Europe in 1941.
During october and november in 1941, Uzice became the base of Supreme headquarters of National Liberation Partisan troops of Yugoslavia, the Central Commitee, Communist party of Yugoslavia as well as Central headquarters of National Liberation Partisan Troops and the Central Commitee of League of Yugoslav Young Communists. On the liberated territory production was resumed in pre-war factories and craft workshops. Health service and railway transport were available to citizens. Intensive cultural life was flourishing. Various newspapers were printed, such as: „Vesti“, „Borba“, „Omladinska borba“, Bulletin of Supreme headquarters, „Novosti“, „Rec naroda“. Art company including drama, art and music workshops, was formed within the partisan unit of Uzice, on November 25, 1941.
On November 25, 1941 the Germans set out on offensive to the liberated territory towards Valjevo-Uzice and Kraljevo-Cacak-Uzice. The last line of defence were Workers battalion, two troops of partisan unit of the Sava region and the troops of Orasac of the Second Sumadia unit. They made a stand against far greater number of the Germans on Kadinjaca hill, on November 29. Supreme headquarters under the leadership of Josip Broz Tito withdrew to Sandzak, where it undertook new reorganization of the movement and continuing the battle.
After the collapse of the liberated territory, rebellion was suppressed in Serbia. Uzice Republic ceased to exist after 67 days.